<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Nov 11, 2003

[Cut from last post for clarity of topic]
On another note, I seem to have made a couple of life changing decisions. I am not sure if I am going to go to OU again next year. before anyone freaks, let me explain my reasons carefully. I have thought for the longest time that I wanted to be a Herpetologist with a touch of Social Science or English. The problem was, I didn't know WHAT it was exactly that I wanted to do. This is really a problem for me. at the end of this year, I'll pretty much have to declare a major, and I don't think I know conclusivley yet what I want to do. I have mostly narrowed it down to Engish or Herp, but I just don't know. It would almost be easier simply to have a hobby as a Herpetologist, major in english (creative writing), and minor in soc or psych. BUT before I decide anything, I seriously need to sit down and figure out what it is that I want.
Creative Writing is easy for me to do, I love english, and have no problems in it. This is not exactly the case with science classes, even though l love science itself.
And of course, recently, there has been my exploded curiousity for cars and the way they work.
I just don't think that Being a mechanic who has a double major (Zoology and English) and a triple minor (Psych and Soc and Anth) would work out very well.
I would be raising the kids (I say this because I want to be a stay-at-home dad, i think), cooking dinner, writing my book, raising snakes, studying culture, helping depressed people, studying old cultures, and fixing up hot rods to sell.
I've been called a renaissance man before, but this is ridiculous.
I can just see myself now, holding a baby in one hand while listening for the kitchen oven timer, shaking a man's hand over a restored '63 chevy II I just sold him. I tell him, "oh, by the way, wopuld you like to buy a rattlesnake or possibly a copy of my first book?"
OH YEAH. let me tell you....
so basically, no.
I am going to sit down for a little while, something I haven't done yet. I have decided that I don't care if the people around me think I MUST go to college, or if they talk badly about me. I am going to do what I think is right for me. Oh, I am not going to drop completely out of school, I'm definetly going to enroll in a mechanic's course at MNT for the spring semester. but I am going to cut back. I am also going to see if I can't get a part to full time job somewhere, and then maybe share an apartment with rex and some friends next year.
After that (and of course after Iget enough for my '68 Chevelle or '63 Chevy II), and after I have decided where I am going, I will go to college and finish up.
I simply don't want to waste my mom's money- and I certainly don't want to feel forced into a roll I feel I have to follow because of some misguided social rule.
Heck, it's not like I'm wasting my life. learning how to be a mechanic will be really useful- I'll make both the absolute perfect husband and wife (I can fix your car or sink, and damn if I can't cook and clean!) and save lots of money on car parts. also, being a mechanic CAN pay well.
I hope everyone out there can see past our cultural rules for a second and see that I am trying to figure out who I am. and, for that matter, going after something that will probably make me happy for a while. Goodluck to all of you regarding your dreams.

A simple letter
Spiderwebs of ugly lies
Not letter perfect

Comments: Post a Comment