<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Dec 13, 2005

Rules. 

I play the lottery off and on when I work at Quik Trip. I can't actually play while on the clock, but before or after is fine.

I'm currently up $239.00. The trick is that we (the employees) watch and see what people lose on, and buy the next couple of those tickets, following the idea that statistics, allthough not always right, still have some grasp on reality.

Most lotteries in Kansas (scratch tickets) seem to have a 1 in 4 and approximately 1/2 chance of winning.

I've won 50 twice, 100 once, 25 once, 20 once, and 10 twice. I've won fives and ones countless times.

Lately, I've changed the strategy to simply concentrate on the five-dollar ticket, you get the best return for your money. that's where the big winners I listed above came from.

there are some rules I try to follow.

1) you win big, walk away. you're done, buddy- you'll just lose whatever you gained. case in point I won fifty tonight and lost 24 of it trying to win more. not so cool.
2)only play before or after my shifts. stopping at other places to randomly pick up lottery tickets is called an "addiction," and addictions are bad. This one is potentially worse to your economical health than smoking. playing while 'at work' after others have is called surfing statistics.
3) stick to one type of ticket at a time. spreading yourself thin isn't a good idea; with 1 in 4 odds, it's more likely you'll win if you stick to one ticket type.
4) don't let the thrill pull you in. I once watched a drunk burn 50 bucks and get nothing. you lose a couple three times, call it quits.
5) statistics are cold. there is no such thing as luck.


eh. I don't know why I posted this, since I haven't posted in so long. whatever.

I do have a question, though. where has all that money gone? :-! I've spent it on clothes and things...and christmas presents. I guess.

Comments: Post a Comment