<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Aug 10, 2004

OH. MY. GOD.  

The following is a letter written from a local troop of Boyscouts in Norman, OK, to my little brother. I don't know what the HELL someone was thinking when they wrote this letter- or- simply titled it, but I'll post it below here.

"Dear Unique Products of the Norman School System,

About this time each summer I send a note to the students who made the Honor Roll during the last semester of this year for the 8th, 9th, 10th, and 1th grades. The purpose of this letter is to tease out any latent interest in medicine by letting you know of the existence of the Norman Regional Hospital sponsored Boy Scouts of America Medical Explorer Post 901."

It goes on in this vein, discussing the purpose of the Explorer Post. I suppose the actual point isn't a bad one, but the header is enough to make me want to shred the letter, unread, and send it back in scraps to its writer.
Dear Unique PRODUCTS of the Norman School System.
I am so thouroughly impressed I can't even think right now. Unique Products?!??!? I know that schools are agents of socialization- but kids these days are PRODUCTS of the school system?
Isn't the point of socialization to make you fit in- and not to point itself out? isn't that somewhat antithetical? "Oh, by the way, you're socialized and we made you fit in. here's a letter appreciating what a great job your school system has done."
I absolutely love this- I also wasn't aware that our School System, the (as of last time I checked) 48th BEST school system of the 50 states (that is, the VERY BOTTOM) , was responsible for our "production."
You got the honor roll- that's the SCHOOL'S responsibility. They MADE you a Unique "product." And what a compliment it is to be called a unique product of the Norman School system. wow, what a great job you guys did, turning out a couple honor students among all your failures.
I could keep writing about Socialization and "Unique Products," but it'd just make me feel like killing myself.

Comments: Post a Comment