<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Aug 10, 2004

Now the BAD news. 

Sophie, one of the greatest cats EVER, has FIV- that's Feline AIDS. it pretty much sucks.
I've had a cat with FIV before- Spice- and she lived for about 5 years with it. the last year, however, was miserable, she was always sick, and she ended up crawling into a box and dying finally, alone, upstairs.
Thinking about it breaks my heart- she was the best cat- EVER. ever.
My mom totally freaked out when the Vet said that's what the bloodwork said- because Sophie has been with my other three cats for 2 and a half or three months, now, and it's most likely that she got it when she was "running rampant" at the Commons. Courtney did mention that Sophie was sick a lot when Dan and her first got Sophie.... so maybe she's had it.

I told mom not to worry, that it was unlikely the other cats had it- because the truth is that FIV is very hard to transmit. the ONLY time I've seen any blood drawn between the cats is when Esprit got Sophie's ear and Sophie jerked away- they haven't bled on each other (pretty much what it takes, especially among nuetered/spayed cats), but inside myself, while I'm sitting here tired, I fear going through this again.
Spice was so sick for the last year of her life, she could barely eat, her immune system was so weak that she had ear mites that wouldn't go away because her ears wouldn't heal.... She was miserable... and I would wake up in the morning with blood on my sheets where she had shaken her head....
I won't throw too much more of that in there, no one really wants to read it.

Losing a cat is like losing a family member. and I don't want to have to sit there and watch sophie go into a decline and finally die with every illness a cat can get. I love that cat. and I'd do almost anything to take her FIV away, but she's got it.

Hopefully she'll not get too sick until she's allready very old- and when she does, if I still have her, I'll take the best care possible- but going through that is painful. it's watching a family member die slowly. I'll do it, I couldn't, wouldn't, get rid of anyone, ANYTHING, to avoid the pain of that- but it still sucks.

Here's hoping none of your cats ever get Feline AIDS. shit, here's hoping none of you get AIDS, for that matter....


I keep telling myself it always goes uphill from here, but the low points can sometimes be really low...

Comments: Post a Comment