<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Nov 27, 2003

I'm back to my rant on people who hate on SUV's. This was posted on a forum.

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The number of people killed in sport utility rollover crashes rose 14 percent last year as total highway deaths hit a 12-year high at nearly 43,000, the U.S. government reported on Thursday."

This statistic looks a little alarming, until you read these two, about alcohol and seatbelts.

"Alcohol-related fatalities remained unchanged at 41 percent of the total, or 17,419. And nearly 60 percent of the 42,815 people killed in auto crashes last year were not wearing seat belts... SUV rollover fatalities jumped to more than 2,400 victims, an increase of 14 percent, the government said. Sixty-one percent of all SUV fatalities involved rollovers."

allright. so ALMOST half of all deaths on the road have to do with drunk drivers- and OVER half of the fatalities are because people aren't wearing their seatbelts. So you have pretty good odds of rolling over an SUV while you're drunk and you're not wearing your seatbelt. great.
If you're drunk- you're going to do something stupid. I believe that if less people drove drunk and MORE people wore their seatbelts, deaths in all cars would drop alot.
If you're driving down the highway at 60 miles an hour and you make a sharp turn, you're going to flip your SUV. that simple. that SIMPLE.

Now. I agree with the above statistics and have offered counters/reasons for them.
let's see what the people at the forum had to say.
The first thing I noticed is that EVERYONE who filled out the poll on the top drove a sedan or "other." No one had an SUV or a truck. so this is a completely biased pool, which Is why I am disagreeing with it in the first place.

"so I don't "need" 4X4. I really enjoy DRIVING, and SUVs handle like s*#t. I'd rather be able to take an off-ramp in my car doing 60-70 than knowing I can hop curbs."

I wonder if this guy has ever DRIVEN an SUV? my 88' blazer doesn't handle like shit, and I would think, out of ALL the suv's around, it'd be one of the shitiest, considering it's age. But no, it handles and turns better than my brother's BUICK regal! It doesn't accelerate as fast, but I take pride in knowing I can hop a curb once in a while without blowing out a tire or scratching up a rim *sarcasm.*
It's exactly this kind of person who would give an SUV a bad rep- he'd TRY to take an on ramp at 60 (which sounds a little dangerous, at least on SOME on ramps, for a car as well) and would flip it.

"My wife and I both drive cars that get 30+ mpg. I saw a brand new Saturn VUE (SUV) that claimed 17 mpg highway--that's when it was new. With mileage like that, even if I wanted an SUV, I couldn't afford to drive one."

well great for you. my mom's BMW 325 doesn't even get that- she gets about 23 in town, i think, about the same amount as my blazer. enough said.
the next line is about "ricers," or customized small cars (civics, etc)

"Don't you ever want to say to one of those people driving cars like that 'hey stupid. Do you realize how RETARDED your car looks? Just wondering.'"

not really. everyone has a different opinion of what looks good in a car, and if you want to be utilitarian, be my guest. some people want to add crap to their car that's mostly useless- but i think you proved the point of ricing a car up anyway- to get noticed.

ARG! I can't do this! it's not angry enough right now! I'll rewrite it later after I've built up some real disdain for morons.

Comments: Post a Comment